Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Preseason Football

Well, it has been a few days since my last post. That was because I really didn't have much to talk about until now. Since my wife and I live on our college campus all year round, I am watching the school sports teams begin to move into the dorms and beginning their preseason workouts. My favorite sport, football, just started it's professional preseason, and all major colleges have started their preseason camps as well. I hope you read my football season predictions for both the NCAA and NFL. Now, with the first weekend of NFL preseason out of the way, I want to give my reflections on my favorite teams and topics. First, Andrew Luck's great performance against St. Louis. Yes, Luck put up good numbers, but remember the Rams are from the elite defenses of the NFL and therefore did not truly test the young star. I still believe the Colts were foolish to let Manning go and very disrespectful to the former face of their franchise, who had earned the right to end his career in Indy. I still feel that Manning will produce more for the Broncos in the next two or three years than Luck will for the Colts. Don't get me wrong, Luck has everything needed to become an elite quarterback in the NFL, but every rookie quarterback should spend one or two seasons learning from an all time great quarterback like Manning. It worked out for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, didn't it? Well, on to my favorite team the Miami Dolphins. Ryan Tannehill showed some promise in his preseason opener. But, this was just the first preseason game and it wasn't great. The rest of this preseason will show if he is ready to lead this team, which I still think he isn't. Like Luck, Tannehill has the talent to be great in the NFL, but lacks the experience and maturity needed to win now. Matt Moore showed promise last year, but with the lose of Chad Johnson, who will either quarterback throw too? Miami's passing game is almost doomed efore the season has even started. I will finish with the talk of the sports world as always: The Tebow and the Jets Show. Tim Tebow didn't look very good in his preseason debut with the Jets, but frankly, neither did the Jets. Mark Sanchez and Tebow both had to handle a complete neglect of blocking by the Jets offensive line. This made Tebow look better, since he is bigger, stronger, and faster than Sanchez, and showed how it won't take long for the Jets fans to turn on Sanchez and rally behind the magical Tebow. Once again, I feel Tebow is a terrible quarterback, but he is a great football player. He will fight every don and never quit until the team has the W. This makes me think the Jets will turn to Tebow fairly soon in the season and will still struggle to get to the playoffs, if they make it at all.

So those are my thoughts for the day. Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment