Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Best College Football Uniforms





So after a few weeks of college football have passed, I would like to give you a few of the uniforms I think have stood out over the early season and which uniforms I'm glsd haven't changed. Now, there are so many lists out there of the best uniforms in college football; msny of these list base their findings off different things. Some do not like the busy and flashy designs of Nike/Oregon. However, my collection will not be based on flash or traditional; I will choose, hopefully, on appeal, lasting impact, and overall look. Now, I will be listing my top 10, and a few honorable mentions. I will say this,  some of my selections are of teams I do not really care for, but I have to be honest, they have good uniforms. In fact, my favorite team (Arkansas Razorbacks) didn't make it on the the list at all, though I will discuss them towards the end of the post. So let's begin with my honorable mentions.



3rd Honorable Mention: Arkansas State University Red Wolves
Ark. State has just recently gone to this design. Last season was the first time they went with a solid uniform, no stripes or fancy designs and a simple helmet. I actually like the simplicity and yet edgeyness of the look. This season they added scratch marks to the shoulders and pants but nothing too dramatic. Ark. State has several combinations to use; Red Top/Black Pant (my favorite), Red Top/Red Pant, Black Top/Red Pant (least fovorite), Black Top/Black Pant, White Top/Red, White, or Black Pant. I hope Ark. State keeps this design for the forseeable future.  



2nd Honorable Mention: University of Alabama Crimson Tide
This was hard for me. I'm a Bama fan, but just really couldn't justify putting them in the top 10. Though their uniform is original with the numbered helmet instead of a logo, and very traditional, I see so many teams that simply do red and white colors that I can't justify putting Bama near the top. However, the uniform perfectly fits with Alabama's no nonsense style of football.



1st Honorable Mention: Oklahoma State Univesity Cowboys
OSU has recently gotten involved in the Nike evolution of uniforms and done, what I consider the best redesigns of a classic uniform out there. The new dark gray primary color on the uniform and helmet really makes the uniform stand out as an original. The only draw back is the newness of the unirom that keeps it from the top 10.




TOP 10
#10 University of Michigan Wolverines
When you thnk of classic college football uniforms, you can almost always see Michigans iconic design. You may be wondering why they only made it to #10, well in the past few season, Michigan has began to mess with  perfection. The new designs just detract from the focal point of the uniform which is the helmet. Michigan would have been in my top 3, three years ago, but now I can't give them any better than 10th. 



#9 Texas Christian University Horned Frogs
Not only did TCU make the perfect choice on a mascot, they also perfectly chose their colors. The combanations that TCU has is amazing, the only thing bad I have to say is the black helmets just make the uniform to dark. Otherwise I throughly enjoy the uniform. My favorite combantion is the Gray Helmet/Purple Top/Black Pant.


#8 University of North Carolina Tar Heels
Despite North Carolina's recent attempts to modernize the uniform, the color scheme of the Tar Heels is what makes this uniform unforgetable. The powder blue is so uniquie and eye catching. UNC needs to just stick with a simple tradtional design with minor stripes to accent the master piece they have created. 


#7 Pennsylvania State University Nittnay Lions

Much of the rest of the list will be based heavily on color choice and use of those colors like Penn State's amazing uniforms. The simplicity of the design almost makes it more dramatic. I'm glad the only change made this season was the adding of names to the back. The all white road uniform is just as dramatic as the team looks like ghosts. 



#6 University of Oregon Ducks
The team that has led the uniform evolution or revolution is none other than the Oregon Ducks. Thanks to the schools close ties to Nike, the sporting goods giant, the Ducks have new uniforms almost every year. However it must be said, Nike and the Ducks have had some massive failures in the uniform department. This season seems to be the first and only season they have gotten the yellow top right. Though I had to drop Oregon from my top 5 this season since they removed the one piece of tradition the uniform had, the O on the sides of the helmets. This one change has dropped them slightly in my book but overall you have to like what Nike and Oregon are doing for college football.



#5 University of Miami Hurricanes
After Oregons fall out of the top 5 for me, there is only one clear choice to replace them. Miami has done a great job with their color selection and uniform designs the ppast two decades. They kept the very traditional look through the 90s and it still looked great. In the 00s they went to a more modern look while still keeping the same thing that made their uniform great, the U! Their helmet logo is so associated with them that it has become a type of school slogan as well as nickname. My favorite is the green top with white pant. I will point out however that the pro combat uniforms Nike has given Miami are nowhere near the quality of the original. I'm glad they are not going to use that design all the time.



#4 Florida State University Seminoles
You cannot think of Miami without considering their biggest rival FSU. I love watching this game and not just for the football. Both teams have such great uniforms. FSU has done a little better with their uniforms simply because of that amazing spear on the helmet. However, the pro combat uniforms from Nike are still not up to the level of the original uniform and I'm glad they haven't changed their uniform design because of the increased shift towards Nike's radical design. FSU did try to change the overall uniform jst recently and it didn't look right. FSU must remain in their Red and Gold.


#3 University of Gerogia Bulldogs
The Bulldogs have tried to mix things up with their uniform and it simply doesn't work. The traditional uniforms are their best and they look amazing. The black top look is good for special occasions and should be kept for that. Overall, there isn't much bad to say about this design.



#2 Ohio State University Buckeyes
Ohio State is best known for its unique helmet and the buckeyes they put on the helmets. Like their rival Michigan, Ohio State has kept the same basic design for decades and it still works. Their road uniforms are the best in my opinion, though once again this is another team that has failed at the pro combat uniform game.



#1 University of Florida Gators
Who can argue with this decision. No, the Gators are not my favorite team, nor are they even close to being one of my favorite teams. They are however my choice for best uniform with their traditional blue and orange uniforms. Though any of the other uniforms Florida has tried have been subpar, their traditional Orange Helmet/Blue Top/White Pants have become a symbol of the school. I am certain someone will disagree, but I doubt they will change my mind. Even when the Gators use orange tops I think they look good, thoug hthe orange tops should be used very sparingly. I do enjoy the Blue Top/ORange Pant combanation.  




So, I have given you my top 10 uniforms in college football today. Though I didn't cover all uniforms and my selection method was somewhat biasised on color combos, I think you can at least see the merits in my choices. I would like to point out a few teams that could have made the list, Auburn (notably the hardest not to put on, but I think it was necessary, but they really could have easily taken Arkansas State's position), Notre Dame, Texas, and Utah State's new uniforms all could have made good additions to the list. I did find it interesting that I placed the three major Florida schools in the top five. I guess they just now how to put together a uniform down there in the Sunshine State. I look forward to revisiting this list next year to see what changes should be made.


Now I must discuss my team, the Arkansas Razorback's new uniforms. I was let down when Arkansas, once again, changed their football uniforms this off season after actually liking last seasons unique design. After the terrible start to the season, I must say that the only good thing I can find about the Hogs is the new uniform is growing on me. I like the red helmet without the shinning gloss of last season. The fading numbers and addition of a charcoal uniform is interesting. However, the new white helmet is disgusting. I would have gone for a charcoal helmet or perhaps a faded logo. I am looking forward the Razorbacks returning to the level of play we have come to expect from them and for this uniform to continue to grow me, though it will be a long time before it could make it onto my list of best uniforms.


No comments:

Post a Comment