Sunday, June 22, 2014

New NBA Team

I haven't blogged in forever. My life has been one hectic race this past year. My wife and I are expecting a baby next month and we may both be starting graduate school this fall. However a recent major story has forced me back to the blog to complain.

I am not much of a basketball fan. I do enjoy watching some NBA and college hoops, but it's just not my favorite sport. However I try to have a favorite team in every sport. I chose my favorite team many years ago. When Dwayne Wade and Shaquille O'Neal won their NBA Championship together I became a Miami Heat fan. I didn't like Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. I could in fact say I hated Lebron James. All the media and almost everyone I came across kept pushing him as the greatest ever. I was and still am a firm believer that no one will ever dethrone the true king of the hardwood, Michael Jordan. But something happened that forced me to rethink my hatred of James. He signed with my team. No longer did everyone love him, nor did the media paint him as the savior of basketball. Of course the media's destain for James only lasted for one season, it was enough for me to at least like him as a player. He is still not my favorite (that was still Wade), but I did root for him. I cheered them on through their four finals appearances. But this last Finals against the San Antonio Spurs was a shocker to me. I saw these supposedly great players, one some consider will be the greatest of all time, give up. They didn't even try to win this series. Coach Spoelstra pulled his three superstars with five minutes remaining in an elimination game five, and they let him! I do not care how bad you are loosing, when you are in the finals and facing elimination, you fight to the final buzzer! When I saw this, I lost all respect for not only James but Wade as well (who had been my favorite player because he always fought so hard). As it stands I will never root for the Miami Heat again until both of those players are no longer on the roster.

So to all the other NBA teams out there, I am currently looking for a new team to root for in the NBA. If your interested, have players that show true character and the fight to win, and I will become your fan. I know the Oklahoma City Thunder would be a good choice but I'm afraid I do not like Kendrick Perkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment