Monday, June 10, 2013

Public Speaking Tips

As I went through new employee orientation today, we were asked a unique ability or skill that we could bring to the company. At the moment, the only thing I could think of was my public speaking ability. This is a skill I have developed through the various presentations I have had to give in school and through Phi Beta Lambda competitions. One of the other new employees asked me how I could keep from being nervous. All the others showed the same amazement at the thought of someone actually enjoying speaking in front of a crowd as so many others I have met. I find it very strange that anyone would have such a fear of something as simple as talking. People have an abnormally large fear of public speaking, some say they would rather die than do it, but it isn't very difficult. So, I have decided to give a few quick tips that I use when I speak in public.

#1: Know your material - Many people would say have confidence, but you can't have confidence if you do not know what you are speaking about. I submit this instead, the better you know your material and how to present it, the more confidence you will have.
#2: You won't say anything wrong - I hear people ask this hypothetical question all the time, "What if I say the wrong thing?" My answer is, "Who cares?" Only you will know that the words you spoke were incorrect, therefore simply go with it. Do not go back and try to say it again.
#3: Speak up - This tip requires confidence, but if you have followed my previous two tips then this should be easy. Speak loud and proud, you are in front of them for a reason and as long as they do not get up to leave, then you are doing well.
#4: Don't give a damn about anyone's "possible" opinion - "What if they hate it?" This question is dangerous and pointless. If you present your case or facts correctly, then it is on them to enjoy the information you have given them. If they do not like it, then tell them (mentally, do not actually speak the words out loud) to kiss your ass. Now this does not mean you should ignore constructive criticism. Just filter out the quality critiques of your presentation and the B. S. of people's personal opinions.

I hope these tips help you in your next speech or presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment