Monday, June 3, 2013

Professional Attire & Behavior

I have noticed in my years as a college student, and living in the rural south that too many men today do not know, nor do they seem to care about how they dress or behave at work. Of course I know it is hard to dress in a business suit when you work in a rock quarry, an auto repair shop, or manufacturing facility; however, this doesn't excuse how men dress for interviews and professional functions. Though I enjoy wearing a good pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt when I am just hanging with family and friends, when I have a job interview or even a job fair. Because of these serious lack of care for one's own personal appearance, I have decided to give the men of the world a little advice in the realm of professional behavior.

Let us begin with proper behavior. This is not simply professional behavior, it is adult behavior. I will begin with something I absolutely despise, chewing tobacco. I fully understand the power that nicotine has on the body; but that bulge in your bottom lip that makes you sound like a moron, the crap you keep spitting all over the place, and your teeth display someone with very low intelligence that no manager should ever consider for a job. I'm not worried about the health effects, its your body, but you appear like the stereo type that has been placed on southern men.

Next I wish to discuss the lack of grammatical understanding so prevalent in the south. "Ain't" is not in the dictionary. It is pronounced, "you all" not "y'all" (even I struggle with this one). Learn how to use the English language properly or keep your mouth shut. Your southern drawl is not a sign of you southern pride. I am proud of my southern heritage but we cannot allow the preconception that all southern men are backward, uncivilized oafs. Get a dictionary out, read it, and begin to expand your vocabulary.

Now that I have preached about behavior, I will discuss wardrobe. As I mentioned, I love wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt. There is nothing wrong with these things. However, your blue jeans should be washed regularly, free from any major holes or rips, and not crazy colors. You shirt should also be clean and free from vulgar phrases and depictions. Now, with this being said, when you are out of the house, doing more than just running simple errands, you should be dressed in a manner that suggests you could be a suitable employee. Whether you are actively searching for a job or not, you must be prepared to meet a potential employer, you may find your dream job while walking in the mall.

Once you have gotten your foot in the door, you have to interview with the company. When attending an interview you must understand the nature of the company you are interviewing with. The job will determine the attire; I would say never go dressed in anything less than khaki pants and a button up shirt (both must be ironed before the interview) for a small position at a restaurant or retail chain. For any job that requires a college degree, you had better arrive in a suit (gray, brown, or navy blue), white shirt, and a neutral colored tie (red, blue, or black is best). Below is a picture of me wearing proper interview attire, though I would wear a different tie that is light blue with dark red stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment