Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Movie Watch List

One of my passions is films. I love the capturing of raw emotion that some film makers can achieve. With instant classics that have already blown away the box office this year in The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers. So, I want to list my must see movies of the rest of 2012 and of the coming summer. Let's begin.


 RISE OF THE GUARDIANS
Nov. 23, 2012
With a very interesting take on every childhood legend, Rise of the Guardians looks to be quite a good film. I like the voice talent they brought in for the film. Although I won't be able to go see it in theaters, I will watch it once it comes out on dvd.






THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
Dec. 14, 2012
It has finally happened. The prequel to the hugely popular Lord of the Rings Trilogy will reach theaters this winter. Although I am not entirely happy that the movie will be broken up into three parts, I do think it will allow director Peter Jackson to bring more of the novel alive. There were very key points of the trilogy I felt should have been part of the movies but just didn't make it. I have high expectations for this new trilogy. 





LES MISERABLES
Dec. 25, 2012
This is most likely the one movie I am looking forward to most. Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors and is without a doubt one of the most versatile actors in Hollywood. The way this film was made has been revolutionary. You must watch the trailer and behind the scenes on IMDB. I have high expectations for this film as well. 




OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
March 8, 2013
The case can be made, that the Wizard of Oz is the greatest movie of all time. Though I do not agree with that stand point, I do agree the Wizard of Oz is a classic that must be on every one's must see before you die. So, I'm very glad Disney didn't try to simply remake the timeless classic. This film, directed by Spiderman Trilogy director Sam Raimi, takes you to the land of Oz, but you see it through the eyes of the Wizard, not Dorthy. This makes the film worth watching to me, because it answers a very old question, where did the Wizard come from?
 

GI JOE: RETALIATION
March 29, 2013
After GI Joe was pulled from this past summer's line up of blockbuster to have 3D added, I was very disappointed. 3D, though I understand is the future of movies, isn't good enough to justify pulling a movie so close to its release simply to add profits. Any film that was filmed and then had 3D added later has been very poor quality as far as the 3D itself is concerned. I do like how they are trying to fix the problems from the first film, though I think they are focusing to much on The Rock's character and not the main character played by Channing Tatum. But, I am still looking forward to this one, though I doubt I will go see it in theaters now that it is in 3D. 




IRON MAN 3
May 3, 2013
This will be, in my opinion, the most anticippated and watched film of 2013. This film will begin the wave of setup films for the next Avengers movie. Though I like Marvel's strategy with The Avengers franchise, I do not agree with how long the series will take and therefore I think the next Avengers film should be the last. But, all that aside, I look forward to seeing how new director Shane Black adds to the Iron Man legend that Robert Downey Jr has so amazingly brought to life.
 

 
 
STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS
May 17, 2013
I will admit right now, I am a Treky. I love the Star Trek franchise, though much of their newer work has been very disappointing. When JJ Abrams rebooted the series in 2009, I thought it wouldn't stay true to the original series at all, but I did think it would be a good movie. So I went to see the film in theaters. I was astonished! Abrams not only brought Star Trek back to life, he stayed true to the essence of Roddenberry's classic. The casting choices were perfect, the effects were perfect, the realisim was perfect. The film was perfect. I cannot wait to see this film and how Abrams contiunes to grow on perfection. (Side note: JJ Abrams also made the greatest tv show of all time in LOST!)
 
 
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS 6
May 24, 2013
So, this is another franchise that just knows how to stick around. With the addition of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to the franchise, the franchise has at least one good film left in them. Though, I think after this film, the franchise should call it quits while the are still ahead. Plus, being scheduled to open right along side another major franchise (The Hangover III) will hurt its box office draw.







MAN OF STEEL
June 14, 2013

After the huge success of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, Christper Nolan has turned his attention to reinventing the original super hero. Batman and Superman were the first super heros. Nolan gave Batman a new look and saved the dying franchise of DC Comics. Now he is going to do the same with DC's crowning jewel. Superman is more than likely the first character you think of when you think of a comic book super hero. After the terrible disaster that was Superman Returns (2006), Nolan has stepped in to help write and produce the new film. I personaly feel, this will be Superman the way he was meant to be seen. I am not sure if I will go see this film in theaters, though I will certainly purchase it the moment it hits shelves.






MONSTERS UNIVERSITY
June 21, 2013
I remember going to see Monsters Inc. in theaters. I loved it! I didn't like how it took so long for it too come out on DVD, and how little things changed from the theater edition to the DVD edition. But, you cannot go wrong with taaking your little ones to a Pixar film and I expect this one to be no different. I will be purchasing this one without a doubt and I'm sure I will love every minute of it.




THE LONE RANGER
July 5, 2013
Johnny Depp is teaming up with Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End) to bring to life one of America's timeless classics, The Lone Ranger. Though you may not remmeber The Lone Ranger, since it was one of the first hit tv shows when television was just taking off, you must know the famous phrase "High, ho Silver, away!" Well, despite what you may think, Depp, doesn't plae the Lone Ranger character, he plays the side kick known as Tonto. Depp is one of my favorite actors and will make this movie an enjoyable family adventure. 
 
 
 
 
 
DESPICABLE ME 2
July 5, 2013
Opening along side The Lone Ranger is Despicable Me 2. Another great family film, I would highly recommend this for any parents looking for something fun and relativly inexpensive to do with their children next summer.
 



 




THE WOLVERINE
July 26, 2013
So, Hugh Jackman decided to make two appearences on my list, but in two completly different roles. He will not be singing in The Wolverine I'm sure, but he will be kicking ass. The guy just looks like an animal when he plays Wolverine and for good reason, this film will at least be just as good as the last, if not better.
















 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment