Monday, August 27, 2012

Advice for the Start of College

Every year at this time, young freshman enter college campuses hoping to reinvent themselves; what they were in high school no longer matters, they can be anyone they want. From the moment you step onto campus, you want to establish yourself as one of the cool college people. For men, we do this to attract the college beauties that we always heard and fantasied about. However, to many young freshmen men try to be what was cool in high school. They dress like high schoolers, they smell like high schoolers, and behave like high schoolers. I want to offer some advice on how to become a more mature college man, to help attract the ladies and prepare yourself for your career at the same time.

First, your clothing. My wife has taught me how to dress; thanks to her lessons, I am able to teach you a thing or two. I'm going to tell you right now, Ed Hardy is no longer acceptable for a mature man to wear; don't do it. A mature man doesn't need a flaming dragon, or bedazzeled skull on his chest to grab attention from a woman. My closet was filled with Hollister T-shirts when I got married (which was ok but she and I both agreed I needed a change), but I have since focused on adding more mature shirts. I really like Hollister shirts and polos, I also have added several Ralph Lauren Polo and US Polo shirts. I have also added two suits and many different shirts and ties to go along with them; the suits are partly for my wife's enjoyment and for my career as a businessman. I know many young men hate the idea of a suit, but, if you want to succeed in life you will need at least one suit and several different shirts and ties. A man must have a suit for any special occasions, and for job interviews. I told my parents when I was a child that I would never wear a tie, now I own more than fifteen different ties and wear them often. You will need to learn how to match ties and shirts, belts and shoes, and when to wear a certain kind of shoe and with what color suit. By maturing your closet, you will mature your image to the new ladies you want to attract. And trust me, they will notice a more confident you. (P.S. cut your hair; long, in your eyes hair screams childish, not mature and responsible. Visit a true old fashioned barber and get a mature haircut.)

So you are dressing more mature now, but when ladies walk up too you, they don't want to smell fifty different shades of AXE body spray. Don't get me wrong, body sprays are good for a quick smell as you are rushing to work outside or something like that, but not for everyday classes and social events. Plus, I would lose AXE all altogether, Old Spice body sprays are a little more mature smelling. My wife loves the smell of Bod Man Fragrances Sprays by Body Fantasies, Black especially. Cologne should now be you fragrance of choice; now Hollister's colognes are very good but too powerful for a mature man. I prefer Lacoste and Ralph Lauren Polo scents. I have Polo Sport #2 as my main scent right now. This is one area where Ed Hardy is ok, their scents are well suited to everyday classroom activities, perhaps to attract that cute girl in lab. I also recommend R.L. Polo Black, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Diesel Iron Man, and Sex and the City for Men. I also think you should try many different scents to find which ones match your personality. Now that I have you covered the scent side I want to tell you that all the cologne in the world won't help you if you don't bathe properly. When it is time to take a shower (and you better shower, no bubble baths in college), what products should you use? I have two brands of shower gel that will work perfectly. Dove for Men body wash and Gillett body wash are perfect for mature men. I personally use Dove but I have used Gillett before and think it is just as good. Shampoo is also important; right now I'm using Suave Professionals, but really any non kiddy shampoo will do.

You are in college now, you a dressing mature, you smell mature, but for some reason you can't attract a girl. Maybe it's because you are acting like an idiot from high school! Mature young women want mature young men; now that you look the part, you have to act the part. Chivalry is your ally, respect is your best friend. Treat them like a lady and they will know you are looking for more than a quick fling. Take the time to make them feel special and always put their needs above yours. Learn how to pronounce the words you say properly: do not talk like a child. My method takes time but it will earn you a long term relationship, not a one night stand. And that is another thing, do not get the reputation as a player; the more one night stands you have, the less women will trust you and rightly so.

So this is my advice, take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment